Monday, September 29, 2014

ME AND MY HUFFY

OLD BICYCLES CAN FETCH BIG BUCKS

 


I remember having so much fun as a youth riding my bicycle. I had a HUFFY racing bike. My great aunt brought it for me from Sears as a Christmas gift. It didn't have any fancy reflectors or racks, it was the plain vanilla type. I was so proud of "THAT BIKE!!!" The one to have in those days was the one pictured above "The HUFFY RADIOBIKE". While riding and enjoying my day as usual ... It never failed to happen ... One of my spoiled rot friends would spin along side me and show off their Schwinn bike. They were so cool. They had the smoothest lines, fancy lights, reflectors and racks. They all seemed to have a ton of accessories too. I was so envious.

Turns out there may have been good reason to be envious. Below are photos of Schwinn and other bikes from the 40's - 60's. $100 was a lot of money to spend on a bike back then. Today on eBay these bikes are selling for $2,000.00 or more, right now! Some have been restored and some have not been touched. Schwinn is not the only model that commands these prices. Others include: Montgomery Ward, Henderson, Monarch and Columbia to name a few. Makes me want to ask all the grand dads in my neighborhood if they still have their old bicycles and if they want to sell them ... lol.



1940's Excelsior Motorbike (Current bid at $2650.00)
1940's La Salle $3700.00


1939 Montgomery Wards Hawthorne ZEP $5400.00
1956 Western Flyer $4800.00



















1960 Jaguar $2,000.00
1935 Columbia $4,000.00

Bikes that predate the war can always bring the higher prices and as you can see they don't have to be in pristine condition. The most wonderful thing of all about these old bicycles are the mechanics. A fifteen year old can build them ... literally!

No comments:

Post a Comment