Friday, December 6, 2013

My Busted Cell Phone - Repair

Before 1
Before 2
















A few posts back I had mentioned that I had purchased a busted cell phone for around $50 on eBay. Here it is, the Motorola Droid RAZR - XT912 (as received) in the above photos. It retails new currently for around $200 - $250 on the high end. Made with Corning Gorilla Glass and a Kevlar backing (the stuff they made bullet proof vests out of), I would think it is rugged enough for this not to happen often. The phone works just fine but it certainly is hard on the eyes with the shattered glass. My plan is to replace the front, back, and camera lens cover to make the phone look new once again. I will also need a basic cell phone repair kit (sometimes included with parts) to complete the job. Additionally, I will purchase and attach a mirror screen protector. This job is not recommended to those with little or no experience in these types of repairs because of the level of difficulty. For the record, I am not a tinkerer. I usually download service manuals for projects like this and follow the instructions by the book, step by step while referencing the manual. The reason for this is there is a certain order that components have to be removed and replaced. Also, since some of the components are very tightly situated, precautions in dis-assembly/assembly should be known and adhered to. Sometimes however, manuals cannot be found. In those cases there are YouTube instructional videos that are just as helpful. I purchased all of the required parts on eBay and have included photos of them along with the instructional video that I used. I could have made a video but I did not see the point since the one that I used was very professional and much better than anything I could have created. I've also included the expenses for the parts. I will include photos of the phone when the job is complete ... STAY TUNED!!!



Glass Front
Glass Front With Tool Kit
 
Back/Battery Cover
Camera Lens Cover






































Total cost for the parts is as follows:

Front Glass And Tool Kit        $9.99
Back/Battery Cover              $16.00
Camera Cover                     $  5.49
Mirror Screen Protector X6  $  7.98

Total Expenses                    $39.46




UPDATE 12/12/13 - All parts have been ordered and awaiting arrival. E.T.A. 2 Weeks.

UPDATE 01/03/14 - The last of the parts arrived yesterday. I'll be looking the video over a few times and putting it on repeat as I begin working on the phone. Should be late evening or early tomorrow at the latest. Soon after repairing the phone I'll be looking into purchasing 2 docks (multimedia & lap dock) and a data cable. I will post those when they arrive also. See you all tonight (smiles).

UPDATE 01/08/14 - Things are held up due to attention to my marketing campaign for ASN. See All Solutions Network post.

UPDATE 01/14/14 - Well my friends this one turned out to be a disaster. I'm really not one to make excuses but ... word to the wise. Do not attempt to do something when you are tired and a little irritated, especially if it's something that is not 2nd nature. All it took was a slip of the wrist. I used a little too much pressure in closing one of the latches that hold the fine ribbons on the camera module. When I put the phone back together ... no sound ... sighs. All is not lost. I'm sure I can sell/salvage all for parts, get another one, and only come out losing $20 - $30 bucks if that. I can also get another busted one, sell them both and get a brand new one with the proceeds. Furthermore I had the wrong replacement part. Turns out the glass does not separate from the entire top of the phone. In other words the entire top of the phone has to be purchased to replace the cracked LCD screen at a cost of $60 - $70. It would be cheaper to just buy a new phone ... sighs @ cell phone issues.


UPDATE 01/31/14 - Front Glass And Toolkit sold for $31.99 (Paid $9.99)

CONCLUSION 06/24/14 - We've finally come to an end. After a few months and 3 sales (whom all reneged on payment), the busted phone finally sold for $34.99. Remember I paid $50 for it. I made $20.00 profit on the LCD kit. Now that the dust has settled sort of speak ... It cost me between $20.00 - $30.00 to upgrade from my busted phone which I made worse attempting to repair it myself. A few parts ordered were not needed and not accounted for but ... ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL :)

No comments:

Post a Comment