Friday, July 26, 2013

Dell Inspiron Duo 1090




I purchased a couple of these a while back for resale. Very popular fast seller, but little room for profit. This particular model is known as a convertible laptop. It is both a laptop and a Windows based tablet. A simple flip of the LCD display and voila, it's a tablet. It has dual touch control, meaning you can use a pointing device such as a mouse of digitizer pen, or you can use your fingertip. I found this particular machine to be cute but lackluster at best. I cracked (literally to upgrade with solid state hard drives) them open to look inside. First of all, the apparent brushed metal wrist rest is actually plastic. The design is very cramped (brings about concerns of over heating) and I had to remove the entire top to access the hard drive ... Not too bad since it only took 6 - 8 screws to do this. The digitizer touch screen is very responsive yet inaccurate when using my fingertip. I found it somewhat difficult to select smaller items with my fingertip. I had to actually touch 4 or 5 times before the selection was made. While upgrading and doing research for manuals and such I ran across some information that was a little unsettling. The CPU (main motherboard chip) runs between $30 - $60. Hmmmm ... 90% percent plastic with a $50 CPU. This could be the reason it seemed a little sluggish during multi-tasking. An optional docking bay/port replicator is available with larger speakers and great sound. It automatically switches orientation from portrait to landscape depending on how it is held. A great cute little machine for a kid ... but for the power user I give it a thumbs down. Please don't get the wrong impression. Dell has many very good products, I have 4 of their 17 inch monitors. This product is not a good pick if you are a heavy user. I used it to view digital comics ... awesome. For movie viewing ... again awesome. When it came to editing an animated graphics file (Blender) and reformatting a movie from raw files (DVD Files) to avi ... efficiency and speed went downhill tremendously. If it is any consolation, Dell has beefier versions of this style with Intel's "i" series processors. One of the beefier versions would likely be a better choice for the consummate multi-tasker or geeky heavy user. It is definitely "NOT" a good choice for the gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment