Sunday, July 21, 2013

NEC Multisync LCD 3210

The Best Monitor For The Money



 


Everyone without any exception, seems to be quite impressed when they view my system monitor. I got a great deal for two of these (bought separately) on eBay. These are the very same monitors that are used throughout the airline industry for the arrival/departure screen's information. I figured if they were good enough for the airline industry, they are good enough for me. I reiterated that quote to the USPS guy when he made the delivery. His response, "I like your logic" ... LOL. I have no reservations in saying that this is possibly the best monitor for the money. You can purchase much better monitors with much higher resolution (costing much more) but, standard everyday computer use does not require super high resolution. It is only in gaming, post production graphics, movie editing, and only a few other applications that require high resolutions to be truly effective, efficient, and thoroughly enjoyable. This particular model has a 720p resolution. This is sufficient to view Blu-Ray, and High Definition. The circuitry to view such media does not have to reside in the monitor. The circuitry can also be in the appliance. Hence, I've added a Blu-Ray/3D DVD player with Wi-Fi capability (the new must have appliance). I have both of my monitors set for 1600 X 1200 resolution and the picture is awesome. All you need is a monitor that has sufficient resolution and the "cheap" glasses to view passive 3D (so I thought, more on that in another post). Though I cannot get the highest resolution of some of my devices, the colors are robust and bright. The blacks are deep and solid, not grey tinged. I would not give this monitor up for 3 times what I paid ($100 plus shipping). I'm told it looks like $500 and one of Dell's 32 inch monitors goes for $600. There are also Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) speakers (pictured) available as an add-on but not required. You can add your own speakers. The factory speakers are quite efficient and sound very good. Once you tweak this monitor to get the best picture (many controls), the picture is crisp and clear. This monitor has built-in circuitry that allows you to tile up to 64 of these monitors to create a video wall, they all (NEC's) do. There are a couple of drawbacks though. This is a commercial monitor and therefore is not made specifically for home use. Some of the connectors are BNC. Therefore you might have to buy BNC-to-RCA adapters or cables for some appliances such as DVD players and Stereo Receivers. The operations manual is very thorough and comprehensive. The other drawback, if you want to call it that, is the signal auto-detect function is slow in  detecting my computer's signal. All that has to be done is opening and closing my laptop's lid and it detects much faster. This could be due to my having so many programs loaded which one or two conflicts could exist. This can also can be a pain if you are in the habit of or require regular rebooting. Fortunately my monitor is part of my home server network (I seldom reboot and my system is left on for days at a time). Additionally, some universal remotes cannot sync with this monitors inferred receiver. It is best to use the factory remote. For the record, I don't think that there is any appliance that does not have it's own weird quirks, anomalies, and unexplainable ticks for lack of a better word. Overall ... Like I said in the beginning, the best monitor for the $$$ (that I have encountered).

No comments:

Post a Comment